Sunday, February 6, 2011

It hurts, it's confusing and my words are ओफ्फेंसिवे.


The Chief Nonsense Officer is James and he broadcasts on public radio in the USA. His February Nonsense at Work newsletter includes the following:

Now consider this mantra: “Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; courage to change the things I can; and wisdom to know the difference.”

As more evidence points to Reinhold Niebuhr as the original author, it is worth pondering his original words: “Give us courage to change what must be altered, serenity to accept what cannot be helped, and the insight to know the one from the other.”

Now my rebellious atheistic friends you have yet to persude me that there are no such things as lies. Can we agree that for lies to effective they have to be attractive? That has got to be worrying to imagine you could be approaching your relationships through a prism of lies.

Take the saying above. I have said before that love is an action and commitment before it is a feeling. However, culture tells us to put our feelings foremost, 'if it feels good then it must be right'. This would explain why Niebuhr's original prayer has been altered by subordinating the action aspect to the emotion of 'serenity' to fulfill the cultural mandate. When determining if we have progressed or regressed I would beg you to look around. See the condition of relationships. My close family and Jo's alone have been through the trauma of wrecked marriages and its lifelong effects, lingering even after loved ones have passed away.

What hope do we offer our children? Do we want to set in motion a series of events that leads to strong relationships, and leave a legacy that understands the source of love for grandchildren and beyond? If this idea does not excite you, if you are indifferent to even seriously considering my proposal, then you have to question the sincerity of your love. Is your love a needy love? Does it stem from your need to be affirmed? Because if it is then that is selfish and true love is not selfish. True love is sacrificial, generous, forgiving, does not demand anything in response, it is an outpouring of action, commitment and spirit.

I know many of you cannot know love. If you don't know love how can you fully love your children, or your spouse? It hurts, it's confusing and my words are offensive but I tell you, the wounds of a friend are to be trusted. I push you because I love you, and my the rational is unassailable because it is not a lie it is evidential based historical truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment